• 19 Year-Old Loses Hands and Feet as a Result of Malpractice
    Cattaraugus hospital failed to treat a 19 year-old college student who presented to the emergency room with an infection.   The untreated infection developed into sepsis and resulted in the amputation of the young man’s hands and legs below the knee.  The medical malpractice claim settled before trial for $7 million.
  • 14-month Old Suffers Brain Damage Following Surgery
    A 14-month old boy had hernia surgery.  The doctors and the hospital nurse failed to monitor the infant while he was in the recovery room.  While left unattended, he suffered respiratory arrest resulting in severe oxygen deprivation and profound brain damage.  He would require 24-hour care for the rest of his normal life span.  The medical malpractice action brought by the infant’s mother was settled for $5.8 million
  • Man Wakes Up Blind Following Abdominal Surgery
    A 56 year old man had abdominal surgery at a New York State hospital.  When he woke up in recovery, he was totally blind.  Defendants failed to monitor his blood pressure and administer blood products during surgery resulting in a loss of oxygen to his optic nerve.  This case settled before trial for $4 million.
  • Man Dies When Doctor Fails to Diagnose Abdominal Aneurysm
    58 year old salesman complained to his doctor of severe abdominal pain.   The pain was so severe, he could not stand up.  The doctor prescribed pain medication and sent him home.  The pain continued but when he called his doctor, he was told not to go to the emergency room but to double his medication.  He died that night.  An autopsy revealed a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.  His wife and two children settled the wrongful death action for $1.5 million.
  • Young Mother Dies When Doctors Fail to Give Transfusion
    A young woman gave birth to her first child and suffered a severe loss of blood.  At one point, her doctors documented a loss of 5000 cc’s.  The doctors waited more than three hours before giving her a blood transfusion.  The mother went into hypovolemic shock and died.  The wrongful death action was settled for $1.1 million.
  • State Trooper Rear Ends Towmotor Injuring Factory Worker
    Chautauqua man, legally operating a towmotor on the street, was rearended by a State trooper who was on his way to get gas for his cruiser.  The force of the crash pushed the 10,000 pound towmotor over the curb, imbedding one of the forks into a telephone pole.  The factory worker suffered injuries to his neck and back.   The case settled following a jury verdict for more than $535,000. Each case is unique.

Past results don’t guarantee future results.